An apple a day keeps the doctor away, we have grown up hearing this phrase. Apples have formed their own niche in the dessert world. Who can resist a warm apple pie with a rich aroma of cinnamon and topped with a scoop of vanilla icecream? or a buttery crisp apple crumble .. comfort food at its best. Even the worlds best known vinegar is apple cider vinegar. Easily available all over the world in different varieties such as granny smith, gala, red delicious etc. Each country having their own favourite recipes for apples.
Apples also played an important part in sindhi weddings many years ago, all the fruit hampers sent to the grooms home would surely include at least two dozen apples, among other fruit. Red kashmiri apples were considered the best. My mother used to make an awesome apple murbo, or apple preserve made in sindhi style using saffron, cardamom and sugar. The memory of this murbo can still make my mouth water, chunks of apples or mango in a thick sugar syrup infused with strands of saffron and cardamon seeds. Mummy usually gave us murbo to eat with a phiki koki, saltless sindhi koki or flat bread. Murbo was also my amma( grandmom’s) favourite.
Many of us familiar with apple kheer or rabri. But apple in a barfi form was something I had never thought of , until I stumbled across the recipe on internet recently. I tried it and liked it, so today i would like to share this recipe with you, do try it. Its a very simple recipe, easy to make and best eaten chilled.
3/4 cup of fresh coconut
1 1/2 cup of grated red apple
1/2 cup dancow milk powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp saffron strands soaked in a little hot water
1/4 cup chopped nuts( almonds and pistas)
1/2 tsp cardamom
1 tsp of kewra water or few drops rose essence
2 tbsps ghee
- Heat a pan and roast the coconut till the colour changes slightly and there is a nice coconutty fragrance in your kitchen…keep aside in a bowl.
- . In the same pan, add 2 tbsps of ghee and add the grated apples to the pan, saute on medium heat until the liquid evaporates from the apples, at this point You can listen to some old bollywood songs..
- . Add the milk powder, sugar and coconut to the apple mixture in the pan, and keep stirring till the barfi starts coming together and leaves the sides of the pan.
- .Add the soaked saffron strands and cardamom and stir .
- Lastly add the nuts and kewra water. and continue stirring until ghee separates.
- Pour onto a greased tray and top with finely chopped nuts or varkh..
- Cool completely and refrigerate.
- This barfi has a soft texture , so is rather delicate, hence it is best served chilled.